And the token count...
Code: Select all
dante_shamest.cpp 470
exomo.cpp 401
syn.cpp 666
Corsix.cpp 284
schloob.cpp 605
Gator.cpp 614

Most of those that failed got the right answers but the output wrong (ie, missed a period on the end). Sorry to do that to you, but rules are rules. :(

Download the tests or the entries or the advanced entries here.
Last edited by Ryan on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan

Postby Ryan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:37 pm

On the bright side, all the "for fun" entries passed.

alvaro.cpp 184
Bladesniper.cpp 212
Dudi_HaTotah.cpp 217
togra.cpp 187
damyan.cpp 176
beer_hunter.cpp 288
Ryan

Postby Ryan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:42 pm

A final note: thanks a ton, everyone, for participating! This has been the most popular contest I've run by a long shot, and I appreciate all the interest. I really enjoy the interaction, so thanks for making me feel good! ;)

The next contest should be coming soon. I'm debating whether it's time for another like this, now that we're all accustomed to this new format (stdin/stdout and all that jazz), or maybe a more advanced one. Stay tuned!
Last edited by Ryan on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan

Re: Contest 39 results

Postby Gator » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:46 pm

Ryan wrote:Most of those that failed got the right answers but the output wrong (ie, missed a period on the end). Sorry to do that to you, but rules are rules. :(

It is a shame that I forgot the period. :) But I did enjoy making the program. Thank you Ryan. I am looking forward to the next beginners contest.
Gator

Postby Alvaro » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:27 pm

Thanks for holding the contest, Ryan!

I am very impressed by damyan's code, and by the fact that togra's is pretty much identical to mine.

I personally liked the contest about the physical simulation better than this one, but I like the idea of having the program be stdin/stdout based, and this was approachable by a lot more people.

The absolute coolest thing to do would be a contest were two bots would play against each other in some simplified video-game. In the same style as the one with the physics simulation, the organizer would provide a OpenGL-based referee program and perhaps a sample bot. We would submit out bots and they would play a tournament. If the video-game is good enough, we can probably get people from www.gamedev.net interested. Please, post what you think about this.
Alvaro

Postby TheKidder » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:36 pm

I like that idea, alvaro, just so I could watch the competition 8)
I might enter, if it was simple enough. (and I'm not feeling lazy :P )
w00t!
TheKidder

Postby t i l e x » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:40 pm

So there would be tournament of bots... kinda sound like unreal ( Unreal Tournament... lol that "joke" sucked ) It sounds like funny, I'd participate in this one, but only if there is different levels of programmers, I wouldn't want my bot to fight Alvaro's :wink:
t i l e x

Postby TheKidder » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:01 pm

I can see the mangled C++ code smoking faintly...
:P
w00t!
TheKidder

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:30 pm

Ryan wrote:std/stdout and all that jazz

I am still not clear on what std/stdout means maybe you could explain this more or you said you might add it the faq's?

Postby MXP » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:38 pm

Alvaro wrote:The absolute coolest thing to do would be a contest were two bots would play against each other in some simplified video-game. In the same style as the one with the physics simulation, the organizer would provide a OpenGL-based referee program and perhaps a sample bot. We would submit out bots and they would play a tournament. If the video-game is good enough, we can probably get people from www.gamedev.net interested. Please, post what you think about this.

I'm not sure how much you visit Gamedev but were you there about a year ago when Gamedev Arena was going on? If I had had time to participate in that contest I would have!
Need information on a function I've posted? Chances are it's at the MSDN.
MXP

Postby Ryan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Ryan wrote:std/stdout and all that jazz

I am still not clear on what std/stdout means maybe you could explain this more or you said you might add it the faq's?

That was a bit of a typo -- I meant stdin/stdout. What I mean by that is that the input is redirected from a file to the standard in stream of the program -- which means you can read it as if it were console input, typed in by a user. Standard input is usually read using one of the C input functions like scanf, or std::cin in C++. Redirection from the command line, in both *nix and Windows, looks like this:
myprogram < input.txt

Similarly, by stdout I mean the standard output stream, or what is written to the console by text-based programs. Usually C programs use printf to write to standard out while C++ programs use std::cout. Redirection from standard output to a file (ie, saving the output of a program to a file) looks like this:
myprogram > output.txt

Does that help? If so, I could add it to the FAQ (which will be more prominent in the new site, I'm sure).
Ryan

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:34 pm

Yes, that explains it for me. Thank you Ryan for taking the time to explain that for me. It is crystal clear for me now. When I said faq's I was thinking the contest faq's if you meant to put it their I think that would be a good place.

Postby leas5040 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:52 pm

Very nice job everyone. Togra's entry was stunningly similar to Alvaro's. I want to thank Togra for commenting his code, as well. This makes it easier for us noobs to understand :D
"Given enough time, man can do anything with a bit of string and some Tinker toys." Bruce Bolden, Senior Instructor at the University of Idaho.
leas5040

Postby Dante Shamest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:28 am

Great job, Ryan. :)

Well, even though I did incredibly badly, I did learn alot from this contest. Can't wait for the next one.
Dante Shamest

Postby Corsix » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:01 am

I am guessing my program failed because it had "void main()" not "int main()". Becuase when i test it i get perfect results - grr...
#include <stdio.h>
char*_="XxTIHRCXCxTIHRXRCxTIHXHRCxTIXIHRCxTXTIHRCxXxTIHRCX";
int main(int l){for(l+=7;l!=putchar(010);++l);if(*(++_))main
(*_!=88?(putchar(*_^073)|putchar(33))&1:0xffff2a8b);}
Corsix

Next

Return to Contests