is this possible... trying to copy an installed application

Talk about anything here...

Moderators: Darobat, RecursiveS, Dante Shamest, Bugdude, Wizard

is this possible... trying to copy an installed application

Postby Lovechild » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:55 pm

ok.

My hard drive is on it's last legs. right now it's clicking away with an odd moter sound behind it.

my question stems form the fact that one of my friends broke/lost/scratched (he won't tell me what, he it's scratched but won't show it to me... he is on a thin line with me right now)
my visual studio 6.0 CD

now, I have installed on this hardrive, but when I get a new one I won't be able to put it on that one (obviously). but is there any kind of way that I can repack the visual studio on this hard drive on then copy it to a CD, just like it was before I installed it.

maybee ZIP everything in my visual studio folder and transfer that to a CD. well that work? or am I going to have to take the hard drive in somewehre and have them recopy everything to my new hard drive.

this entire thing gives me a headache.
Lovechild

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:15 pm

The only thing that I can think of is some cloning software like Ghost. This will let buy a new hard drive and Ghost will make the new hard drive an exact copy of the old one but will let you change the size of the hard drive. Example old drive 20gb new 120 gb or old 20gb fat32 new 120gb ntfs Ghost will not care.

Postby Kramer55 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:30 pm

im telling ya, re-install drivers.

i had the same problem w/ mine until gateway installed new drivers
Kramer55

Postby r4nd0m » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:57 pm

yes, you could possibly zip everything up and put it on cd, however you also have to take into account registry values, and any dll's it might have put in the windows/system directory. install programs [such as the one on the scratched cd] just unpack the files needed, make the apropriate registry entries, unpack any needed dlls, etc automatically -- the user doesn'thave to do any of this. you can simulate that process manually, as long as you know what goes where, what needs what, etc.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand -- strawberries in the other screaming WOO HOO!
r4nd0m

Postby Tenji » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:12 pm

which is great fun. You miss one, oh look you're screwed. :?
Tenji

Postby Lovechild » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:34 pm

that sounds.... fun.
Lovechild

Postby Lovechild » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:40 pm

I have a problem.

I can't find maxtor 6y080l0 drivers.... anywhere.
Lovechild

Return to Open Discussion