Battery Health

Talk about anything here...

Moderators: Darobat, RecursiveS, Dante Shamest, Bugdude, Wizard

Battery Health

Postby Mr_Bean » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am

Hello guys,

I have a new Acer laptop with a 6-cell Li-ion battery. I am wondering what the best way to use the battery is. I have done some Googling and I would like to get your opinions as well.

I currently take my laptop to lectures each day and don't plug it in. It is usually drained to below 50% at the end of the day. Then when I get back home I plug it in and leave it plugged in until I leave the next day again (except I unplug it overnight). How good is this? Some websites say you should discharge it almost fully once per month. Any truth to this?

Thanks,

Mr_Bean 8)
Mr_Bean

Re: Battery Health

Postby exomo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 am

I think the best thing is to remove the battery when you have it plugged. My experience is that laptop batteries lose their capacity faster if you have them plugged in all the time, even when they are completely charged.
I'm not sure if completely discharging from time to time is good for the battery or not. I think this was true for earlier generations of batteries. I read somewhere that batteries lose their capacity while charging, no matter how charged they are. Even if completely charged, most laptops still continue charging from time to time instead of disconnecting the battery, that's why I think you should remove the battery.
Who needs a signature anyway.
exomo

Re: Battery Health

Postby Mr_Bean » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Hmmm, interesting.
I read somewhere that you shouldn't remove the battery too often.
They also say it's fine if you leave it charging for a while even if it's full, as long as you discharge it (not fully) every week or so.
Mr_Bean

Return to Open Discussion