hi, i dont know where to post this??!!!!

Talk about anything here...

Moderators: Darobat, RecursiveS, Dante Shamest, Bugdude, Wizard

hi, i dont know where to post this??!!!!

Postby alienoiz » Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm

hi,

this has nothing to do with programming for so called, its just a question...well...i have a SATA port hardrive with my windows and everything installed there but my port is danificated due to energy cuts by my electricity provider...and i want to insert some IDE hardrives....what i would like to know is how do i pass all data to my IDE hardrive and boot from it without having to install everything again...if its possible?

Thanks!

Duarte V.
alienoiz

Re: hi, i dont know where to post this??!!!!

Postby exomo » Sat May 26, 2012 1:12 am

it is possible to copy a disk.
First you need a bootable linux cd like knoppix or ubuntu. boot from the cd and use some linux tools to copy your disk. Some guides use the dd command, but I would rather recommend using easier tools such as ddrescue or partimage. Here is a link that might help you: https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/8225-clone-your-ubuntu-installation-onto-a-new-hard-disk

Of course there is commercial software that can get the job done.
Who needs a signature anyway.
exomo

Postby alienoiz » Sat May 26, 2012 5:29 am

exomo wrote:it is possible to copy a disk.
First you need a bootable linux cd like knoppix or ubuntu. boot from the cd and use some linux tools to copy your disk. Some guides use the dd command, but I would rather recommend using easier tools such as ddrescue or partimage. Here is a link that might help you: https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/8225-clone-your-ubuntu-installation-onto-a-new-hard-disk

Of course there is commercial software that can get the job done.

thank..as matter of fact i have ubunto here for boot cd..ever you ever tried this? i mean.. do you know if it realy works?..im running win 7 ultimate and im afraid of start this, i have just formated my pc 2 weeks ago because of the sata ports "bug" but only now i have the IDE hardrives....im gonna install them and try to do it...i believe in my case theres no need to expand partition cause im going to use a new entire disk....

Thanks..i hope i dont mess up...:)

Duarte V.
alienoiz

Postby exomo » Sat May 26, 2012 8:38 am

I used the partimage way to clone my disk, but you need another disk where you can store the image. partimage can't make a copy from one disk to another directly. I have never tried ddrescue on a windows disk, but as long as you take care that you don't overwrite the wrong disk the original disk is not changed, so if the backup fails you can still use your system and try to make the backup again.
Who needs a signature anyway.
exomo

Return to Open Discussion