Brand New & Shiny

Talk about anything here...

Moderators: Darobat, RecursiveS, Dante Shamest, Bugdude, Wizard

Brand New & Shiny

Postby Powell » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Good Day Forum Folks:

This is my second posting on C++ Forums. (The first was a question) As I noted in that posting, most of my questions will probably be about syntax. I am reasonably capable in Basic but so far C++ has left me confused. I have Microsoft Visual C++.Net Standard version 2003 installed on my computer, a Dell with 1 TB of HDD space and 6 GB of RAM, so I have plenty of capacity. I bought the program in 2004 when I mistakenly thought that C++ was just a fancier version of Basic. (just goes to show how wrong you can be.) I've tackled it about three different times with no luck. In between I concentrated on Basic and comprehend arrays, for-next looping, etc. My problem is in trying to interpret the syntax. I have been using Ivor Horton's Beginning C++ 6 as a guide, but the thing is massive and covers a number of variations such as for Windows based programs, Windows Visual Basic programs, Windows Net Developer programs, etc. I'm 71 and will never use C++ for career advancement, but since I have caught up on the university course I missed while working around the world, I decided it was time to tackle computers. I am presently taking a course to write for my Comp TIA A++ certificate and will start a university course on C++ programming this summer so I would like to get a head start.

I look forward to getting advice from you all.

Best Regards
Powell Lucas
Powell

Re: Brand New & Shiny

Postby Wizard » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 am

Best of luck to you! It's always great to try and learn new things and I can only hope I have the same gumption when I reach your respectable age. :D
Hopefully you'll find the answers you are seeking here.
Wizard
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion