Wake up computer on network request

Talk about anything here...

Moderators: Darobat, RecursiveS, Dante Shamest, Bugdude, Wizard

Wake up computer on network request

Postby ventsyv » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:07 am

I've seen in BIOS an option to wake up on network. I was wondering what would that do ? Is it possible to turn on my box by attempting to remote into it ?

I turn off my machine at work, so when I VPN I can't remote in my desktop. I can remote to some of the servers that are running obviously. I would like to be able to remote to my box. Is that possible ?
ventsyv

Postby ventsyv » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:16 pm

I've been asking myself this question for a while now, so when I had a minute, I googled it. Turns out yes you can. When you turn off your PC your NIC stays working listening for a special packet. When the NIC grabs that packed from the wire, it will power on the PC.
Obviously both the MoBo and the NIC has to be Wake-on-LAN capable, but it seems most modern ones are.
This becomes somewhat more complicated if your PC is behind a router, the PC is off so the router has no IP to forward the packets to. Seems you can either configure the router to forward traffic to broadcast address or you can attempt using the MAC address of your NIC.

I think the first option will cause all PC that have their Wake-on-LAN active to turn on.
Maybe if each machine is assigned a static IP, then the router would know to forward the traffic to that particular MAC address ?? I don't know. I'll try it at home and let you guys know.
ventsyv

Re: Wake up computer on network request

Postby robertz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 am

Anybody knows how to do networking here?
robertz

Re: Wake up computer on network request

Postby ricaluanna » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:26 pm

I have no idea. is this resolved already?
Check this site out.It's all about affiliate marketing.
ricaluanna

Re:

Postby Timothy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:43 am

ventsyv wrote:I've been asking myself this question for a while now, so when I had a minute, I googled it. Turns out yes you can. When you turn off your PC your NIC stays working listening for a special packet. When the NIC grabs that packed from the wire, it will power on the PC.
Obviously both the MoBo and the NIC has to be Wake-on-LAN capable, but it seems most modern ones are.
This becomes somewhat more complicated if your PC is behind a router, the PC is off so the router has no IP to forward the packets to. Seems you can either configure the router to forward traffic to broadcast address or you can attempt using the MAC address of your NIC.

I think the first option will cause all PC that have their Wake-on-LAN active to turn on.
Maybe if each machine is assigned a static IP, then the router would know to forward the traffic to that particular MAC address ?? I don't know. I'll try it at home and let you guys know.

But you rarely have a static IP, so the first scenarion seems to be more realistic and useless at the same time.
http://www.reseau-eau.educagri.fr/wakka.php?wiki=GsmRepeater - Why Gsm Repeaters Must Be Used In Your Own Home?
Timothy

Return to Open Discussion