Recovering outlook mail and contacts without outlook

Talk about anything here...

Moderators: Darobat, RecursiveS, Dante Shamest, Bugdude, Wizard

Recovering outlook mail and contacts without outlook

Postby Wizard » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:27 pm

Ok, simple story, my dad's XP machine got buggy, so I dropped it back to Win2K. Before doing so, I made a backup of his outlook email files, forgetting the fact that I would need outlook in order to re-open them later.
I don't think it's possible to read an Outlook PST file, but I'm asking in case anyone knows of a way. I can't just reinstall Outlook, it was part of the purchase. All I have is the "system restore" disk, the one which restores the drive to the way it was at purchase.
Is there an open source solution to outlook, that reads pst files, like there is for the rest of the office suite, that I'm not aware of?
Wizard
Site Admin

Postby MXP » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:32 pm

MailNavigator might be something for you.

Edit - After reading further it seems you might need to have Outlook already installed to read the PST files. :cry:
Need information on a function I've posted? Chances are it's at the MSDN.
MXP

Postby Wizard » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:38 pm

Already looked into it. It doesn't actually read outlooks files, it uses outlooks resources to read the files. In other words, it still needs outlook to be installed.
Thanks for trying, though.
Wizard
Site Admin

Postby Wizard » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:42 pm

And on a somewhat related note, I think I may have just hit on my open source entry for that googly thingy. :D
Wizard
Site Admin

Postby Bugdude » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:40 pm

Outlook is part of Office, so your dad should have been given a copy of Office with his PC (I don't think it can be part of a recovery disk). Your dad didn't buy his PC from a backyard box-builder did he?
Bugdude

Postby Wizard » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:09 am

Nope, it apparently is part of the recovery disk. At least I assume so. Recovery disk says it restores it to the way it was at purchase, and he bought it from Future Shop, so I doubt they'd load anything of ill-gain
Wizard
Site Admin

Re: Recovering outlook mail and contacts without outlook

Postby zlatan24 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:31 am

Wizard wrote:Ok, simple story, my dad's XP machine got buggy, so I dropped it back to Win2K. Before doing so, I made a backup of his outlook email files, forgetting the fact that I would need outlook in order to re-open them later.

I don't think it's possible to read an Outlook PST file, but I'm asking in case anyone knows of a way. I can't just reinstall Outlook, it was part of the purchase. All I have is the "system restore" disk, the one which restores the drive to the way it was at purchase.

Is there an open source solution to outlook, that reads pst files, like there is for the rest of the office suite, that I'm not aware of?

For solving out given situation you can use pst repair tool outlook 2003. It owns some required features due to is able to help here. The tool can work under all Windows OS and software configurations of your system. It work with corrupted or lost pst files bigger than 2 gb.
zlatan24

Return to Open Discussion